2018 Mayor’s New Year’s Levee
Join Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie and Members of Council at the Mayor’s New Year’s Levee. An annual event in Mississauga, the levee is an opportunity to meet the Mayor and Members of Council in person and snap a photo with them. You’ll enjoy entertainment by local artists including the Mississauga Children’s Choir and the Mississauga Poet Laureate. There’s also free skating on the Mississauga Celebration Square ice rink, fun activities for kids, an information fair, tasty treats and more.
· 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Free public skate (weather permitting)
· 1:30 to 4 p.m. Information Fair (including displays from Peel Regional Police and Peel Regional Paramedic Services)
· 2 to 3:15 p.m. Welcome and remarks followed by Meet & Greet with Mayor Bonnie Crombie and Members of Council
· Mayor Bonnie Crombie
· Members of Council
· Mississauga MPs, MPPs and regional representatives
The Meet & Greet will take place inside Council Chamber
The Information Fair will take place inside the Great Hall
Visit www.mississauga.ca/mayorslevee for more information.
· 2:30 p.m. – Meet & Greet with Mayor and Members of Council
· 4 p.m. – Mayor Crombie participating in the public skate on the Mississauga Celebration Square ice rink
*All times in the agenda are approximate.
The Mayor’s Levee is a tradition that dates back to the 18th century, during the reign of King Louis XIV. To show the monarch belonged to the people, the King would invite gentlemen to his bedroom on New Year’s Day to watch him wake up and begin serving the public. The Royal Governor of New France later brought this custom to Canada where it continues to be a new year’s tradition.
This year, Mississauga will host its 39th annual Mayor’s New Year’s Levee. Over the years, thousands of residents and their families have welcomed the opportunity to meet their Mayor and Members of Council in person.